We took a week off from travelling (sort of) and had an action packed week in Brisbane before we get ready to head out on various adventures for mid-semester break. Last weekend Courtney, a friend from home who is on exchange a couple hours from Brisbane, and her friend Ally came to visit me. We had a great visit and I showed them around the city! Saturday night we hit up a Super XVs game at Suncorp Stadium. It was a super exciting game of high-level rugby. It is a rugby lovers dream to be able to watch professional rugby in a stadium with attendance that rivals an NHL turnout at home.


The only downside of the evening was an extremely annoying girl behind us that screamed in her piercing voice for the entirety of the game. Needless to say she was a little disappointed when her team lost.


On Sunday we climbed Mt Coot-tha, the highest point in Brisbane. At the top you are rewarded with the best view of the city you can find.


We checked out the Brisbane casino for the first time on Tuesday night. It is located in the very historic Treasury building. To my delight my first time gambling was a success! I won $30 on my first slot machine ever and my friend Sam won $100. If my luck continues maybe my debt will be gone before I know it…or increase tenfold.


On Wednesday Zoe, her sister Logan, her friend Sarah, and I headed to Surfers Paradise. True to form, we opted to enrol in a two hour surf lesson for the duration of the afternoon. We had so much fun learning the basics, face planting in the ocean, and finally haphazardly standing up. Zoe and I fully intend to rent boards a few more times over the semester and be ready to accept sponsorship by Quicksilver in a few months time.


On Friday a group of us headed out on an adventure to find secret rock pools our friends Taylor and Aviva had visited a few weeks prior. It didn’t take long for us to realize this place really was top secret, as upwards of 5 locals we tried to ask for directions had literally never heard of this place before. After a bit of a wild goose chase we finally found the pools and enjoyed a full day of cliff jumping, waterfall climbing, swimming, and rock climbing with the hidden spot all to ourselves–so cool.




Saturday morning I played in my second rugby game of the season. It was a real hot one but my team played really well and came out with a big W. In the afternoon we attended a big rugby club event called Ladies Day. Hundreds of girls with purchased tickets get dressed to the nines to watch the premier rugby game and drink champagne served by topless rugby boys. For the girls, the event doubles as a serious fashion show! Later in the evening there was a player auction to raise money for breast cancer research. Members of the boys rugby team are auctioned off in pairs and winning bidders are awarded 30 minutes with the boys and an accompanying prize. It was pretty hilarious to watch, as the boys weren’t afraid to show some skin to drive the bidding up.


We finished the night at Friday’s, our favourite bar in the city that overlooks the Story Bridge on the river. At the end of 8+ hours in heels we were all ready to have our feet amputated but we still managed to keep a smile on our faces.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s